· Employ “Protected Resuscitation” model of minimizing the number of team members in the room, all the while maintaining standards of care.
· Demonstrate donning and doffing of PPE appropriate for AGMP (Aerosol Generating Medical Procedures).
· Safely medically manage an acutely ill suspected COVID19 patient during AEROSOL-GENERATING MEDICAL PROCEDURES such as Rapid Sequence Intubation.
· Demonstrate effective communication skills including closed-loop communication, pre-intubation timeout, and a shared mental model.
· Identify any latent safety threats in system and infection control during the simulation and collate lessons learned for quality improvement.
Case 1 – Asthma
· Timmy is a 6 y/o boy with a history of severe asthma with previous ward and PICU admissions. He arrives with EMS on 10L O2 via non-rebreather mask.
· The patient does not respond to traditional management and becomes hypoxic and bradycardic.
· The patient requires CPR and intubation.
· Management of a patient with potential COVID infection
Case 2 – Myocarditis VT
· A 5 yo boy presents with a flu-like illness and goes into a pulseless VT rhythm.
· Participants are expected to manage pulseless VT, intubate the patient, and maintain appropriate PPE during and after an AGMP.
· Participants are expected to correctly use the Zoll defibrillator.
SickKids Protected Code Blue Poster
Trauma – Resuscitation Team Members
Zoll R Series
SickKids Emergency Response and Resuscitations
Humber River Hospital Protected Code Blue Strategy for Pandemics
Checklist 1 – Asthma
Checklist 2 – Myocarditis VT
Supplemental Learning Material
Ottawa Covid Virtual Reality Videos
Paediatric Cardiac Arrest Algorithm for Suspected or Confirmed Covid-19 Patients
AHA Interim Guidelines on Caring for Patients with Covid-19